Overview of the Parent visa
You might be able to get a Parent visa if you:
- Have a child who is:
- An Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen
- Lawfully resident in Australia for at least two years (a shorter period can be considered for Australian citizens if there are compelling and compassionate circumstances)
- Have a sponsor
- Meet the balance-of-family test
- Meet health and character requirements
The balance-of-family test measures your ties to Australia. You meet this requirement if either:
- At least half of your children live permanently in Australia
- More of your children live permanently in Australia than in any other country.
You must meet this requirement to be granted this visa. It cannot be waived, even in compelling or exceptional circumstances.
NOTE: There are substantially higher government fees for most parent visas. In certain instances, the government fees can be broken up into 2 payments over the term of a few years.
Please book a consultation if you would like one of our Australian migration agents to assess how you can obtain a Family visa to Australia.
Subscribe to PKH VisaNews
Complete your name and email address below to receive our regular newsletter: